Wednesday, May 8, 2013

An interview with Yuko Ohara


Please tell us a little about who you are and your background
I was born in Yokohama, Japan and studied musicology and composition for a BA and MA in Ferris University. In London I graduated from a diploma in advanced composition at the Royal College of Music and have finished a PhD at Brunel University recently



What/who inspires or motivates you?
Since I knew a piece by Xenakis, I have been listening to contemporary music.

What is your favourite piece of your own work and why?
I like a piece for mixed ensemble called The Butterfly Effect because I could hear instrumental sound effects and sound colours.

How would you describe your style? 
I always find a concept and try to write a piece. How to represent the concepts into my pieces is very important and also the connection with structures and the process of composition. 

What is your composing routine. When do you like to write?
I should work at day time but it is necessary for me to concentrate at night, especially before composition deadlines.

What were the challenges in writing the piece for the New Dots concert? 
I had a premiere with the piece by Michael Schmid at the Tzlil Meudcan Festival in Israel and then revised a few parts for the New Dots Project.

What does the future hold?
I hold a fellow at Institute of Musical Research and will attend seminars and keep researching there. A piece for chamber orchestra is being performed by ensemble mise- en in October and a performance with Tokyo Ensemble Factory in December

What makes you smile?
If performers play my pieces very well and I felt lots of energy from them, it makes me happy and a big smile. 


No comments:

Post a Comment